Saturday, November 12, 2005

Quotes for the ages

One of the sentences of Bush's that I quoted in my previous post is so good, I thought I should highlight it in a separate post. When people with special knowledge in a field share their experienced judgment with us, it's worth listening.

Evil men, obsessed with ambition and unburdened by conscience, must be taken very seriously - and we must stop them before their crimes can multiply.

- George W. Bush, President Commemorates Veterans Day, Discusses War on Terror 11/11/05

It reminds me of a very similar observation from someone even more experienced in the subject:

Men without conscience are capable of any cruelty the human mind can imagine.

- Dick Cheney Vice President's Remarks at Reception for Survivors of Auschwitz 01/26/05

I'm hopeful enough to believe that the gulag in Guantánamo may one day become a museum dedicated to the memory of the harm that can be done when men without conscience decide to practice their cruely and their crimes multiply.

Maybe those two quotations should be placed on a large plaque at the entrance.

No comments: