Friday, February 10, 2006

A puzzling question

I did a long post at my blog about this article by Bernard-Henri Lévy in The Nation 02/27/06 issue(accessed 02/10/06): A Letter to the American Left. It reads to me like someone reiterating Republican propaganda about "the liberals" but phrasing it as though it were friendly criticism.

I won't go through the whole thing here. But I was kind of surprised by this. Talking about the torture issue, he asks:

Why haven't we heard from more intellectuals like Susan Sontag - or even Gore Vidal and Tony Kushner on this vexed and vital issue?
With Gore Vidal I don't think anybody really listens to him even when he is making noise about something. Tony Kushner? Maybe he was too busy co-writing the screenplay for Munich or working on other projects.

In Susan Sontag's case, though, it's probably because she's dead. She's dead, dude! She died in December of 2004. So unless you want to go to a Spiritualist or some California New Agey type that specializes in conjuring the departed, I doubt you're going to hear Susan Sontag saying much about this issue.

No comments: